Thursday, September 2, 2010

people hear what they want to hear

I'm sure I'm no exception to that, but it's annoying nonetheless when someone asks for advice, I take the time to respond and then get no acknowledgment from that person, simply because I said something they don't want to hear and they choose to take someone else's advice.

I don't have a problem with them not taking my advice. It's not that. In this particular instance, I do think they're unwise to not take my advice but hey, there's nothing I can do about that. It's more about when someone asks for advice on a public forum, then only responds to the people who agree with them that irks me. Why bother asking if you're not going to even consider different viewpoints?

But the question, my reply and the other responses got me to thinking about how fortunate I am in my relationship with SO. The question was about figuring out where a relationship is heading when it's a new relationship, and it's a relationship after your marriage was ended by infidelity.

My response was to talk to, and ask the other person in that relationship with you. The other replies were more along the lines of how uncomfortable it was to put your feelings out there for another person to see, and that they'd rather wait and see what happens. Hey, I get that. It's incredibly hard to show any emotional vulnerability after you've been cheated on and divorced because of it. But one of the lessons I learned because of that is that I'd much rather know honestly where I stand in a relationship. And fortunately for me, that's what I have now with SO.

No comments:

Post a Comment