Thursday, September 22, 2011

sometimes shit just happens

I read a lot on SI about karma, but typically only when bad things happen to the cheaters. I get it. It's not only amusing but it also can be cathartic to see that the cheaters' lives aren't all sunshine and daffodils after the destruction they caused in the betrayed one's lives.

But sometimes shit just happens. It's how we deal with it when it does happen that is more about our "karma" I think.

Today I was in a car accident. A teen driver, in a heavy duty crew cab pickup truck failed to yield when turning left, and ran into me. Hit me in the driver's side front tire. I was lucky. I drive (drove) an Astrovan so it's not like I was in some small car. I did hit my head, I've got several cuts from broken glass and the soreness and stiffness are settling in, despite the ibuprofen I've been taking all day. My van, being 11 years old, is most likely totaled. Yet, I still think I'm lucky. I'm grateful that it wasn't worse than it was. And it could have been. The speed of the oncoming vehicle could have been much higher. The driver in the lane next to me could have become collateral damage, but somehow managed to avoid being hit herself.  Life threw me another bad curve ball, but I'm okay. I will continue to be okay.

3 years and a couple of months ago, and for much of my adult life, I wouldn't have had the same attitude. I probably would have been a bitch about it, and complained about how the world was out to get me, and worn my victim-hood like a shroud.

Sometimes shit just happens. How we react to it is what makes us who we are. I'm really glad I'm no longer the same person I was, 3 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment