Tuesday, March 8, 2011

lifestyle change seems to be working

I'm eating more protein, and losing weight without really trying. Woohoo!

Several of my friends, including my boyfriend, are getting into the paleo diet lifestyle.  That's a bit extreme for me, but that's more about me not wanting to give up certain foods than it is about whether following a paleo diet works or not.  Certainly, there are things about the diet that make sense, a whole lot of sense.  Eating more protein is one of those things.

I've known for a long time that not eating enough protein makes me crave the carbs more.  I suppose it's really that not eating enough protein means I eat more carbs, and the more carbs I eat, the more I want.  When I fill up with protein, I don't eat nearly as much carbs.

I'm really talking about the white sugar/white flour kind of carbs. The box or 5 of Girl Scout cookies.  The bag of Hershey's kisses that's gone before I know it.  The macaroni and cheese that's great comfort food. The staples of PMS.  Yeah, I'm sure you get the picture.

A while ago, at my boyfriend's recommendation, I picked up a book called Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.  It's not a diet book, per se, but there is a basic diet plan included.  This is what I've been following for the past few weeks.  I haven't stuck to it rigorously.  But I have made sure I'm eating a lot more protein daily than I used to, and it's making a difference.  The numbers on the scale are dropping.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment