Saturday, April 23, 2011

I said the magic words

yep, told my teenagers that we needed to catch up on household chores this weekend, and ta-da, like magic, the boys disappeared.

I'm getting a bit resentful here. I realize that they're used to me having been home all of their lives, but they are old enough to know that things change, and with mom working now, things have to change. I'm tired of cleaning up their messes, especially in the kitchen. I'm tired of having to clear the counter and wash the pots and pans I need first, if I want to fix myself a meal.

I know this is one area their dad and I failed at, in parenting. The boys learned the ignore and hide act they do so well from their dad. But I enabled that, by not insisting the boys do their chores on a consistent basis. I'm a great one for thinking it's just easier to do myself than start a battle. Which is now biting me in the ass.

Of course, that only makes my frustration and resentment grow. And it's not getting my kitchen clean, either. <sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment